Published: 09 Oct 2021

Indonesia has the primary raw material to become a champion in Electric Vehicle (EV) batteries. The raw material is nickel. Indonesia is the first largest nickel producer globally, with nickel production of 800 thousand metric tons per year. This number is very different from the Philippines as the second-largest nickel producer globally at 420 thousand metric tons per year and even Russia (the third largest nickel producer in the world) at 270 thousand metric tons per year. This was explained by JB Susetiyo, Director of the Internship and Career Center Bureau, President University (PresUniv), in the opening of Mewujudkan Indonesia menjadi Produsen Baterai Mobil Listrik Dunia webinar, Thursday (7/10). This webinar is hosted by Dr. Eng. Lydia Anggraini, S.T., M.Eng., Head of Mechanical Engineering Study Program, PresUniv.

This webinar presents Agus Tjahajana Wirakusumah, President Commissioner of PT Indonesia Baterry Corporation, as a speaker. Agus said the percentage of EV to total vehicle sales in 2040 would be 57 percent as an effort to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. "The battery represents 35 percent of the total cost of an EV, and the battery is one of the main components in an EV which represents 12 to 25 percent of the total weight of an EV," he explained. He said 60 percent of the EV market share would use Lithium-ion batteries of the NMC 622 and NMC 811 types by 2030, where nickel is the main component of the cathode (60-80%), thereby significantly driving the volume of nickel demand.

In this webinar, Agus also explained the projection of the world's electric car battery demand. "In 2030, the need for EV batteries globally will be around 2,700 Giga watt-hour for NMC Battery," he said. Then, what are the advantages of Indonesia in the EV battery industry? According to Agus, Indonesia is in an excellent position in the integrated EV industry, being the fifth largest economy in the world by 2045, having the largest Nike production globally, having copper, manganese, and aluminum, large production and sales market, also competitive supply rates. "So, this position is superior for Indonesia because it has a market and batteries that are key in the EV industry," said Agus. (Gilang Suryanata, PR team. Photo: Gilang)